- Spicy Smoked Gouda Cheese Dip
- 4 large russet potatoes
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Salt, to taste
- Optional seasonings (such as paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, or dried herbs)
Preparing the Potatoes:
- Scrub the russet potatoes clean, leaving the skins on for added texture and flavor.
- Using a sharp knife or a mandoline slicer, thinly slice the potatoes into uniform, thin rounds. Aim for a thickness of about 1/16 to 1/8 inch (1.5 to 3 mm). Thinner slices will result in crispier chips.
- Once sliced, immediately place the potato rounds into a bowl of cold water. This step helps remove excess starch and prevents the slices from browning.
Frying the Potato Chips:
- In a large, deep pot or a deep fryer, heat vegetable oil to approximately 350°F (175°C). Make sure you have enough oil to fully submerge the potato slices.
- Drain the sliced potatoes and pat them dry with a kitchen towel to remove any excess moisture. Moisture can cause the oil to splatter.
- Carefully add a handful of potato slices to the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pot. Fry them in batches to ensure even cooking.
- Fry the potato slices for about 2-3 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and crispy. Use a slotted spoon or a mesh skimmer to remove the chips from the oil and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Sprinkle the hot chips with salt immediately after removing them from the oil. If desired, you can also season them with additional spices, such as paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, or dried herbs. Toss them gently to distribute the seasonings evenly.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining potato slices until all the chips are cooked.
Tip: Best Served with Spicy Smoked Gouda